HRMs for Phone Workouts
VALR is built for use with your Apple Watch using the Watch’s internal heart rate monitor to help target the appropriate training zones. Alternatively, you can train with your iPhone instead using a separate, external Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) that uses the Bluetooth Smart, Low Energy open standard (so long as the manufacturer has not restricted the monitor from using third party apps).
Heart rate monitors that we’ve confirmed work with VALR include:
- Wahoo Fitness TICKR (recommended)
- Polar H10
- Adidas miCoach
- Under Armour Heart Rate Monitor
- 4iiii Innovations Viiiiva
- Mio FUSE
- Mio LINK
You’ll need to connect to your Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) using the VALR phone app. It takes just a minute, and you only need to do it once. If you connect the HRM using your phone’s Bluetooth Settings, it won’t work.
To connect for the first time, wear your HRM and take the following steps:
- Open the VALR app on your iPhone
- Select the “More” tab on the bottom of the VALR app screen
- Select “HR Monitor for Phone”
- If necessary, turn on your Bluetooth on the Apple iPhone Settings > Bluetooth page
- In the VALR app, select (Scan for Monitors)
- When your monitor appears, tap it
That’s it—you’re ready to go! If you need more help, please see the “Questions and Troubleshooting” section.